Well, it's December 6th and I bit the bullet and decided to unpack Christmas today. I'm usually a December 1st person, but really dragged my feet this year for some reason. I was made to feel better about my reluctance when I remembered my Aunt and Uncle's tradition. They haul out the tree Christmas Eve and put it away the day after. That will probably be me in about 5 years.
I will say, now that everything is up, I can feel good tidings pumping through my veins again. Twinkle lights and a sea of red, silver and green can't help but to pull you out of that chilly, grey "holy crap there's 1/2 a foot of slush on my driveway" kind of depression.
I experienced the start of Christmas magic with my oldest daughter amidst the chaos today too. She is a little over two and I still don't think she gets it, but her eyes sparkled like diamonds when she woke up from her nap and saw the tree. I saved some ornaments for her to add, you would have thought she won the lottery. As if I didn't already know that my two girls were my reason for being, the fact was reaffirmed next to the tree today. So special.
The only real pitfall to the day occured when my teenage cat was released from the basement to investigate the explosion of cheer. He's going to regret eating those styrofoam berries when he completes his morning constitutional in the litterbox tomorrow. Stupid, adorable cat.
Well, the little ones are sleeping and I hear my dining/craft room calling my name, maybe I will whip up some fun ornaments to give as gifts. Or maybe, I will just enjoy this warm blanket, elevated feet and my evening coffee with "Sounds of the Season" on one of the music channels. Crap . . . where's the remote?
No comments:
Post a Comment